Friday 3 August 2012

This could work, maybe... just maybe!!

So those of you who've been here before will be well aware of the fact that I'm a hopeless failure at producing kids who eat well. My kids are energetic, smart, articulate, funny, gentle, playful and a myriad other fine qualities, but they STINK at eating. And by stink I mean, one in particular has the horrendously powerful weapon of the ability to woof his cookies on demand when the food is not pleasing to him. He's indiscriminating too... he is equally resistant to the normal sweets a child loves (ie. jelly beans, gummy bears, popsicles, juice) as he is to the stuff I want him to eat (fruit, veggies etc.) The other child is pretty decent when it comes to food, but has learned from his brother that it is ok to pull Ghandi-style hunger strikes, making the most dedicated and well versed Satyagraha practitioner look like a hack. It is exasperating in all kinds of ways, and I've tried so many tactics from hiding nutrition, to making dishes themselves special, yelling, screaming, crying, begging. Aside from the first on that list, which is insanely labour intensive, all tactics have been more or less, completely ineffectual. The doctor's advice was to wave my white flag and serve peanut butter at every meal if that is what they want. Eventually, she says, they'll get over it and want something more. Right. Thanks so much for that gem.

We just returned from holidays, where I experienced the most embarrassing event. One son, who shall remain nameless, would of course never eat anything when we were out for dinner, so as usual I didn't force the issue, and brought a hot dog with us as I always do so as to avoid ugly behaviour. Well, this time differed from other family dinners as there was a wee girl of 5 years who saw him eating the hot dog, and she pulled a fuss, refusing to eat a beautiful meal that she normally would have gobbled down, until her mum made her a hot dog too. I've lost count as to how many times I apologized for this, but it was high for sure. My ears still get red with embarrassment now. And then the frustration starts. Why??? Why the heck won't they eat?

So, I've stewed (those who know me know that I am nothing if not a total stewer), for days now, and have come up with a new tactic. The one I've avoided until now because all the "experts" and books tell you NO WAY. It is a simple principle, age old in fact. Bribery. Don't judge me... would you go to work if you weren't being paid to? Let's be honest.

This morning in a last ditch attempt to reduce the number of different foods I cook at any one given meal, I printed out a chart with 35 squares on it. Here's the deal: each time the boys eat the meal that we eat, or at least a selected portion thereof, they get a sticker in a box. 35 stickers, and the prize is $20 and a trip to a toy store. GASP. Yes, I said $20 and a trip to a toy store. Those of you with kids who eat well, go ahead and click your tongues in disgust. I'd be doing the same thing too. If I hadn't tried everything already, I wouldn't be reducing myself to this.

Today's menu for us was chop salads, with sliced chicken breast, blueberries, strawberries, celery and avocado. I was successfully able to get one child to eat one slice of cucumber (which was an enormous accomplishment if you know the child), applesauce mixed with vanilla yogurt (more fruit there than he's eaten in 2 months), and slice chicken breast (I know... not in nugget form- amazing right?). The other child ate the same chicken, his weight in blueberries and a good two inches of cucumber. This is what is classified as a successful meal in our house. So successful in fact, that I'm blogging about it. And what's more, the most resistant of children said to his brother "Chicken is good to eat, you should try it". No vomit invited. I couldn't be more proud if he climbed Kilimanjaro.

I've also finally discovered the power of desserts. One book I read and took as gospel years ago now, said always served dessert with the rest of the meal. You shouldn't teach kids that some food is more valuable than others, otherwise they'll value dessert over healthy choices. I just woke up. Some food is more valuable. That's why you have to eat it FIRST. Duh. The boys ate quickly when presented with three possibilities for dessert: chocolate soy ice cream, pudding or a rice krispie square. Anyone who knows my kids has seen how long it takes for one in particular to eat anything, usually FOREVER, but this meal was one hour top to tall, and chock a block with things that he's normally rejected with more fervour than you can imagine. I'm a happy proud mama...

Happy trails!

PS: I'm considering bribery as a potty training tactic too... sigh... one day these problems will seem insignificant right?


7 comments:

  1. The value of living with my mom for two years has been the relaxing of the resistance to bribery. I am just about to start talking about toilet training with Eleanor, and once we get serious about it, you'd better believe I'm going to have a jar full of smarties sitting in the bathroom, and I'll mete them out relative to function performed.

    There is no shame in bribery. There is shame, I think, in thinking that as a mom you have to sacrifice all your life, time and sanity for the sake of raising perfectly attached children who only eat healthy things and are never forced to do anything they don't want to do. I've been forced out of this obsessive tendency towards anxious mothering simply by circumstance: I'm a single parent and just. don't. have. time.

    So bribe, Emma. Bribe! I'm in full support, and even with bribery and hotdogs I am still in awe and full of respect for your parenting skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! This comment makes me feel good. And you are right, sacrificing every ounce of time, life and sanity does not a good mother make- it simply results in anxiety and frustration. I've been fighting that for 5 years. Being extremely A type, (ahem. let's be honest, anal), it's hard to relax the ideals. Especially in the face of judgmental parenting books. But screw it. Onwards we go with new focus in mind!

      Delete
  2. The goal of judgmental parenting books is to help people raise "energetic, smart, articulate, funny, gentle, playful" children. If you can have all that but need a little bribery to also get some peace of mind? Pfft. You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter fought with her son over everything. In the end she found out that he loves the fight! Especially if he wins. With the blessing of a child psychologist, she started using bribes: get through a day without a tantrum, you get a chocolate. She sat with a dish of chocolate chips as he cleaned his room, giving him one for every item he put away in the right place. Ten minutes and a handful of chocolate chips and there was a clean room, a stress free mom and a happy kid. She initially argued with the psychologist who asnwered just like you did - would you work for no pay?
    I say, go for it. They learn that acceptable behaviour pays better than resistance. It's a good lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say, so far so very very effective. We just finished day six. And we have six stickers on the chart to show for it. So far, they have eaten scrambled eggs, turkey, grilled chicken breast, fish sticks, and ham. As well, one particularly challenging kid has had a piece of cucumber or watermelon every day. The other kid eats his weight in fruit, so that continues. I'm blown away with son #1 especially. He's done it, and is feeling so proud of himself. And he's eaten more of a variety this week than he's eaten his entire life. I'm now officially PRO-BRIBERY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha! I know exactly the book you're talking about and it's on my coffee table right now (wanted to make sure I was starting solids the "right" way with Laura). I too take it as gospel though it has done diddly squat for me. If there's a child out there who became a good eater after their parents followed Ellyn Satter's advice, I'd like to see them. At best she reduces dinnertime battles, but not anxiety over whether our child is getting the nutrition they need.
    The bribery also prevents dinner time battles AND it's getting more nutrition into your kids. Full steam ahead!
    I read the judgmental parenting books, but I simultaneously loathe them because they depend on our fears and insecurities as parents to make money and so it's in their interests to exacerbate those fears and insecurities, and most do. Rant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ellyn Satter did nothing for us at all, and I sold her at a garage sale, along with the No Cry Sleep Solution and the Baby Whisperer. It is a funny thing isn't it? You want some tips and tricks, and to do the right thing for your kids, and you read the books, knowing they should be taken with a grain of salt. But inevitably I spiral downward into a horrible state of mind which seems to confirm I'm the most awful parent. And they're so full of judgement. As much as I know intellectually that I should not accept anything as gospel, I can't help but feel that way. Now I stay away from them, and instead talk to other real life mums for help. Usually the advice and sympathy is far better than anything I'd seen in print.

    ReplyDelete