Sunday 9 September 2012

Crafty keeners

My kids like to craft. A dream come true right? Well, theoretically. In theory, I love this. But in reality, I  (big confession coming), don't really like crafting with my kids. Here's how it usually goes:
Me:  "Hey guys we're going to make a craft!"
The Dynamic Duo: "YAY!!!"
Me: "Come sit down at the table.... no, don't touch the paint quite yet Boy Wonder..."
Boy Wonder: "How come?"
Me: "Because I have to explain what we need to do with it first"
Batman: "Can I use brown? Please?"
Boy Wonder: "How come?"
Me: "Because if I don't, you won't know what to do. Let's put on our paint shirts"
Boy Wonder: "How come?"
Batman: "But mum, I want a brown paint shirt"
Me: "Well, Batman I have red or black shirts, and Boy Wonder, because otherwise you'll ruin your clothes"
Boy Wonder: "How come?".
This conversation takes about 3 seconds. It is like being stoned to death with pickles. Not painful, but absolutely persistent, and completely aggravating. And that is before the project begins.

Suffice it to say any project I do with them needs to meet the following requirements:
1) It has to be easy enough for my 3 year old Boy Wonder to attempt, and my 5 year old to pretty much manage on his own entirely
2) It must not require any significant exactitude.
3) It must be easily accomplished in about 30 minutes or less.

When I saw something similar on Pinterest (and my oh my how I love Pinterest), I loved the idea right away. It works for any season. The Pinterest craft was sponge painting on an art canvas, on top of a masking taped snowflake shape. I will be repeating this craft during winter time. But for now, I adapted it to our current season.




First I found a maple leaf clip art graphic and cut it out of a cereal box.

We taped it to the art canvas and then...
 Using acrylic paint and a kitchen sponge, went bananas painting. We used red, orange, yellow and green.
Some of us were more methodical than others. It is amazing how different two different litters from the same sow can be....

Voila! Hung in a place of honour immediately visible when you enter the house. 




In the end, I've decided that I do like crafting with my kids. It is fun to create things, and watch them work. As long as you can fend off the pickles...

Happy trails!

1 comment: