Monday 23 January 2012

Ok I lied.

So I lied. I promised myself I would do nothing yesterday. Three words for you: SHORT ATTENTION SPAN. That's what it boils down to really.

Last week I heard from a friend who is having a baby boy soon. Baby news is always exciting! And it makes me want to knit. I am by no means professing any kind of proficiency when it comes to knitting. I can knit, and I can purl- neat and tidy. Therefore I can do anything that requires those two things fairly well. Anything beyond that is an exercise in frustration (and foul language). I'm not brave enough to try much beyond that as my mum is too far away to fix my mistakes and pull me out of my jams. That being said, I have found my skill has improved with time and practice. And from time to time I have had good success using http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips- there are great videos there and clear how-to's. So if you are wanting to learn- that's a great place to start.

Here's what I love about knitting for babies: they are usually small and achievable projects that I can usually do while watching TV. Here's what I hate about it: What is with putting babies in pastels all the time? Blah. Boring and washed out colours. This is fine sometimes, but I really love babies in vibrant colours and I have found it difficult to find affordable yarn in bright vibrant colours, but still in baby weights. I am always drawn to tweed-like yarns and deep colours, that are often bulky weight, and that's a problem because it is hard to find patterns for babies that use bulky yarns. However, after a good hour of online searching, I finally found a pattern I liked for a hoodie, and we're giving it a go. I'm not sure I will like the results. It is knit on size 8 and 9 mm needles- it feels like I'm using the Friendly Giant's knitting needles. I don't love the look of that, but I shall persist. I have a feeling this sweater will end up being waaay too big for the baby (I don't mind growing room, but within reason). So it might be for Elio. We will see.

Anyways, here are some of my favourite knitting projects I've done:



Here's my dirty little knitting secrets: I LOVE self-striping yarn- you just knit, and it makes the pattern for you- no carrying a multitude of colours behind. It is brilliant!!

Happy Trails!


No comments:

Post a Comment