Saturday 5 May 2012

Teacher Gifts!

I know this is early. I made the mistake of leaving the job of finding teacher gifts for Matteo's preschool teachers until the last minute last year. Not optimum.

Here's the thing. I really think that it is important to appropriately acknowledge the work of my kids' teachers. They work so hard, and for less than reasonable pay. These people often spend more time with our kids than we do, and they are crucial in our children's development. So I really think it is important to say thank you. But really, how many coffee mugs does a teacher need? At least that is what my parents (who are both teachers) always seemed to get. One rather clever student of my dad's once gave him a meat tenderizing mallet, with the words "For all the meatheads in your class" written on the side. A for effort there- I love a sense of humour. 

My husband and I are both teachers too. Honestly, it is just nice to even get a card- makes you aware that your efforts have not gone unnoticed. I love giving gifts- there is something fun about coming up with something creative and unique that gives the receiver the idea that you put some thought into things. But this is a tough one as I don't know my kid's teachers on a personal level, so it is hard to appeal directly to their interests. 

Like I said, I left things pretty late last year. I happened to be wandering the dollar store and came across plastic tubs for popcorn (super cute and cheap, with fun popcorn graphics on the side). It dawned on me that it could be fun to gift our beloved preschool teachers a movie night. I purchased movie theatre candy (Fuzzy Peaches, Twizzlers, Glosette Raisins), as well as several packages of microwave popcorn. I also bought gift cards to the local Rogers Video (now defunct, so movie tickets might be more fitting now). I made cards shaped like stars, thanking "A Super Star Teacher". All this was cello-wrapped and tied with a ribbon. Seriously cheap and cheerful- maybe $15 a piece.  The response to these was incredible. They loved it. One teacher sent Matteo a thank-you card in the mail telling him how she had a movie night planned for herself and her granddaughter. She also told me she took pictures of it in case her daughter ever wanted to give something similar her child's teacher. Bingo! Love that she loved it. For about two minutes, then realized the pressure was on for this year. 

I have literally been thinking this through for a year now.  I have come up with several "punny" gift ideas, and this is what I settled on. This year's teacher gifts is a "Ice Cream Float" making set. Again, I stalked several dollar stores for the right components. The base of this arrangement is a little metal oblong dish. On it sits two ice-cream float glasses (you know, like the ones at an old soda fountain, with the pedestal). Inside each of these glasses is a bottle of Coca-Cola (woohoo! Collectors' edition in the old-fashioned glass bottles). I also bought a stainless steel ice cream scoop for each, as well as a package of sprinkles and ribbon tied small package of red and white stripped straws. We have a local ice cream shop that is conveniently enough called "Matteo's Gelato", and I intend to get a gift certificate for each there to include in the card which will read "Thank You for Making my Year "Soda"-lightful!". Again, these stay within my $15-$20 price range.  I've cellophaned them together. I should have bought clear cello-wrap, but was too cheap and wanted to use what I had, so instead it has red lady-bugs all over it, which makes it hard to see all the contents. Whatever. It's the thought that counts right? 



I don't anticipate doing this forever. Really, once the attention span and dexterity in my kids develop enough to actually hand-craft something that will last and be useful, I fully intend to put them to work. Until then, I get to play! 

Happy Trails!

2 comments:

  1. OMG, I wish I were your kid's teacher!
    I received a gift from the whole class once that was incredibly memorable. One parent put it together but everyone in class contributed money. There were several gift certificates representing my interests (cook book store, quilting shop, art store) but it was the presentation. Each one had an envelope made of card, cut and folded like a 3D envelope. Each was wrapped with different ribbon - all red/white/blue to represent the French flag - and each had a tiny item attached - a miniature whisk on the cook book store, a mini water colour paint box on the art store, and best of all a 2 inch square quilt square - 9 patch design. The certificates are long gone, but I still have all the tiny favours. I will never forget that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No kidding! That is incredible! I love it. There is something to be said for that kind of thoughtfulness. It really goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete